Waypoint Academy Therapeutic Services
Provide students with clinical supports to help enable them to access grade level curriculum, socialize appropriately, develop healthy communication skills and develop effective coping strategies that can be carried into independent life and into the workforce.
Supports and Modalities:
At Waypoint Academy, clinical supports are delivered in a two tiered plan:
First is a school-wide therapeutic milieu that promotes a safe learning environment through the use of consistent expectations, contingent reinforcement of appropriate behaviors, clear and concise lilmits, crisis prevention and therapeutic separation from social stressors, personal accountability, executive functioning skills training, development of social skills and appropriate coping strategies.
Second is a more individualized approach to therapeutic interventions. Students present with a myriad of clinical concerns which are met with and appropriate treatment modality specific to their history of concerns. Some of these interventions include:
- Individual & Group Therapy
- Anger Management
- Cognitive Restructuring
- Individualized Behavior Intervention Plans
- Anxiety Reduction Techniques
- Use of Manipulatives (stress ball, therabands, etc.) to Reduce Stress
- Conflict Resolution/Peer Mediation Skills
- Communication Skill Development (feelings identification, emphathetic listening, pairing emotions with behaviors)
- Transitional Support Planning
Assessments and Collateral Work:
The majority of students who initially attend the Cape Cod Collaborative Waypoint Academy will be assessed at the 45 day mark to determine target behaviors, effective interventions, transition planning and modifications to their IEP if necessary. Some students may be assessed in the form of a Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) to aid in determining causes of specific behaviors and appropriate faculty interventions to aid in possibly returning to their sending districts.
Counselors work closely with collaterals including (but not limited to):
- Parents & Guardians
- Educational Advocates and Educational Surrogate Parents
- Educational District Liaison
- Community Based Counselors & Psychiatrists
- State Agencies (DCF, Mentor, DMH, DYS, or MA Rehab)
- Residential Programs
- Probation Officers & Other Court Personnel
Counselors at the Cape Cod Collaborative Waypoint Academy are state licensed Mental Health Counselors and School Adjustment Counselors. Typical caseloads are 12-16 students per counselor, which provides significant personal attention and communication with parents. Case reviews and clinical supervision is performed weekly in an effort to keep current with student performance.